CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 19, 2013

10 Things Home Steading Has Taught Me

Well it has been almost 3 years since I started this journey of  Homesteading and here is what I have now learned.

1. If you don't like HARD WORK don't homestead!
 Homesteading is WORK! Very Hard work!

2. Poo is no longer disgusting!  That' right,when you shovel it, move it, step in it, compost it, IT just becomes another something you deal with. I no longer smell it, or get sick by it. Which surprises me since I used to get sick to my stomach with just butt humor
Still don't get that but at least it doesn't make me sick anymore.

3. Chickens sing! YES that is right they sing, and it such a sweet sound!
 Kind of like a cat purring, they walk around just happy and singing. 
 Makes ME Smile  :)


And speaking of CATS.... Brings me to #4

4. Never say never! Yep I now have a barn cat. See that girl holding that little girl yep she did it. She talked me into the impossible. We NOW have a barn CAT.  It seems like when you have one animal, it just seems more doesn't that big of a deal to have another.
 Welcome to the family Azreal...
 YOU are such a sweet girl and we are happy you are here.



5. Predators and Dark wait for NO one! It doesn't matter if you daughter is receiving a special award that night, and the person presenting is taking FOREVER! Nor does it matter if you have a late night work dinner. When it gets dark you better be home, (even if that means 4:30pm in the middle of winter) or be willing to pay kids to put your animals away.  

6.   Animals that are supposed to be wild, can be very tame. .

Lexi one of our chickens thinks that the MR. is her best friend. She follows him, talks to him, and defends him from the dogs and likes to use him as a roost. Pretty funny to see how chickens can decide that you belong to them Even though the MR. says it isn't so...
  I think she wins!


7. If you like things all in order, and nothing out of place, then HOMESTEADING is not for you! There is always a new "project" you will be working on. Something that you can always improve or try!


 8.Your animals depend on you. It doesn't matter how cold or hot it is, it doesn't matter if you don't feel good, they need you! They count on you, they are as helpless as a new born without you. So don't just get them because they are cute when they are little. They deserve your best so if you are going to have them you need to commit.






9. When you want to go somewhere, leave things behind. FORGET IT! There is no just leaving, last minute road trips are a thing of the past. BUT with careful planning and a great Mother In Law you can get away for a little while. Make sure it isn't for LONG....... But every once in a while you have to take a little break.. and after all the hard work... YOU deserve it!

10. Homesteading is an adventure. And as much as you have to deal with the hard stuff, meet deadlines, and make sacrifices AND  it is SOOOO worth it! I am learning so much about myself, finding joy in things I never thought I would and I don't regret a single moment of it!


1 comment:

  1. I don't think I could do it. But I did have barn catS and had to chase my horses when they got out and a few cows too. I rode my pig like a pony until my dad cooked him...that's about the extent of farm life for me. I LOVED growing up on a little farm though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by.. I love your comments they really make my day.