Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Making Your Own Laundry Soap

Making you own laundry soap is so easy and the savings for your family budget will amaze you.  With you making your own laundry soap you also know exactly what is cleaning your families clothing. You don't have to worry about harsh chemicals. A Win/Win!

You will need 4 basic ingredients and a  2 gal bucket:

Your soap 2/3 bar Fels Naptha (this is an old fashioned type of soap and smells wonderful) or one whole bar of Ivory or (homemade soap  if you make that already). You will find this in the laundry area.
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (This is NOT baking soda!!!) This is what helps to break up your dirt. If you can not find this at your local store you can order it here.. 
www.drugstore.com/ArmHammer
Now it is more expensive this way so you could also ask your local store if they could bring it in a much cheaper way to go :)
1/2 cup borax powder (The brand I use is 20 Mule Team)
water



 1. Grate the soap (finely) and place in a sauce pan.


 2. Add 6 cups of water and heat until the soap melts.

 3. Add washing soda and borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use 1/2 cup per load.

4.  This is going to look a little like egg drop soup this is normal. This is a low suds soap. The suds don't do the cleaning, the suds is more chemicals in products raising to the top.

The soap has a very clean smell.. I love it but you can also add 1oz of your favorite essential oil and make it smell just the way you want it to.

This is going to cost you somewhere between one to two cents per load!!! I just saved my old laundry container from Sams and put it in there. The cap is exactly 1/2 cup. Also for my whites I do add one tsp. of baking soda to the detergent.


 Shake well /Add soap before adding clothing! 

Hope you love it as much as I do :)

8 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome. Anything to save a little $$ on something that I use so much of! One question - can you use it on front loaders? I have to use the HP detergent because of low water use.
    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I started making my own detergent last Feb and I'm still using the same borax and washing soda I purchased almost one year ago! I can't imagine how much money I've saved... Thanks for spreading the word :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooooo gonna try this! I've heard of people doing this, but didn't know how they did it! Thanks Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. i never even thought about making my own laundry soap. i may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love this soap! I just made a new batch of it on Monday. :) It's like science in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect!! I'll def have to use this. Is it weird that I'm actually excited about a natural laundry detergent?? muh.. maybe not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! For now I stick with Tide but I might try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I heard you can use it for front loaders, and you actually use less, I think 1/4 cup.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by.. I love your comments they really make my day.