Friday, January 1, 2010

The Hunt for A Butter Churn


I never thought there would be so many choices for a butter churn. In my mind I see Ellie Mae and the show Beverly Hillbillies. You know the old wooden barrel that had a long stick coming out of the top. I can see her sitting on the porch day dreaming with critters near by turning the milk until she got nice creamy butter. Yummy! Someone pass the warm bread…

But enough of my TV memories…Here is the low down: they range in price from about $30 on craigslist to $2500 if you’re a collector. They come in glass, ceramic, and wood. You can get the electric kind that do all the work or you can find one where you get your daily arm work out as well as butter! Who knew!?

So now I am on the search. I don’t want much; just a hard working churn that is going to last me years and needs no electricity. I don’t care how it looks as long as it works hard. ‘Don’t care how it looks’… did that really come out of my mouth??? Well after all it is a New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Rach. Just get a quart jar with a tight lid. Pour in your cream and shake. I do this every month to make butter. When it is butter just shake it out into a big bowl. pour off the butter milk which Nicole or john drinks. then wash the butter and store in a covered bowl. You can salt it if you like. I also like to add berries if we are going to use it for waffles. Nothing like good fresh butter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by.. I love your comments they really make my day.